Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Day 62


So today I finished my little project of not wasting egg-yolks and, erm, corrupting my colleagues for after eating all those egg whites I have a pretty substantial collection of egg yolks:


A Fruit Tart! (aka: Death in a tart pan). As I was making it, I was reminded why I haven't had or made one in more than a decade. I used to think they were a healthy-ish dessert, until I made one for a friend's birthday and realized what was in them.

In the crust: flour, confectioner's sugar, butter, egg yolk, and cream
In the custard: egg yolks, half and half, sugar
In the glaze: mostly sugar, some fruit

Their prime redeeming feature is that they taste fantastic. At least, I assume this one does. I didn't have any.

And then I was so excited to be making it, I forgot to eat breakfast until nearly 9:30. Doh! And then forgot my mid-morning snack until 11:30. And then I got busy at work and didn't realize I'd forgotten my afternoon snack until I got home, hungry for a change. Sigh. Brain freeze. I keep thinking that I'm getting enough sleep ... and then feeling like I didn't. A couple of years ago, while training for a marathon, this happened to me and eventually I figured out that I just needed more sleep than usual to compensate for my training. I wonder if that's happening now? The plus side is, that pizza was provided at work and I wasn't even remotely tempted.

Food

post-workout egg-white with cilantro and cayenne

Breakfast

couscous cooked in beet juice, spinach sauteed with garlic, cayenne, and ginger, all cooked with an egg:
Looks abit like a Christmas disaster, but was tasty!


mid-morning snack

egg white and sugar snap peas

Lunch

arugula and chicken on chapati and rye toast with pickled beet (yum! ... yes, I have weird food tastes)


mid-afternoon snack

forgot!

Dinner

banana. Milk. Egg white. Still Boring

Evening Snack

pineapple. Egg white







2 comments: